The skin is one of the most important organs of the body and its exposure to external factors like sun, climate and water can cause changes in its appearance, skin lesions and extreme dryness. Dry skin is the main cause of discomfort in the epidermis and occurs when the organ loses too much water and oil. This condition can occur at any age and in any part of the body, but is more common in hands, feet, arms and inner thighs.
The lack of moisture in the dermis can manifest in different ways causing roughness, scaling, cracking, redness, inflammation, tightness and itching. Dry skin often feels very stiff after bathing and is seen cracked with the naked eye. Knowing what the internal and external factors that can affect the humidity of the same is important to properly treat the dryness, for this reason we have prepared this article on the Dry skin: causes and treatment.
Internal factors that can cause dry skin
Some diseases of the skin or other parts of the human body can intervene in the natural conservation of skin moisture, causing extreme dryness as the main consequence. Between the Causes of Dry Skin, We find the following conditions:
They are a set of cutaneous affections known as dermatitis that cause Inflammation of the skin, itching, peeling and redness. The cause of these conditions is unknown and can be easily recognized by the rash they produce on the face, elbows, behind the knees, hands and feet.
Eczema is a non-contagious disease that can improve over time. The most common eczema is atopic dermatitis that most affects newborn babies and usually disappears during adulthood. Scratching, showering with hot water, being exposed to the sun without protection or being in low temperatures can make eczema considerably worse.
Psoriasis is a skin disease associated with a disorder in the immune system. This condition causes inflammation, redness and Appearance of patches or silver plates Which make the skin flaky. Most people with psoriasis experience dry skin and need to use daily emollients or ointments to keep the epidermis hydrated to prevent outbreaks and symptoms of the disease.
Psoriasis is not contagious and the goal of your treatment is to prevent outbreaks and infections that may occur on the skin. Being exposed to external factors such as dry air, hot water and sunlight can trigger an attack of psoriasis. Stress, strong emotions and drinking can also worsen skin lesions.
It is an abnormal dryness that appears on the skin or in the mucous membranes and that it worsens considerably during the colder seasons like the winter. Skin with xerosis It looks dry, flaky, red and cracked. Often, people with this disease see flaking, especially in the legs and arms.
Like psoriasis, the treatment of this condition is to calm the symptoms, so it is necessary to use moisturizing creams based on urea and lactic acid. The use of lotions with steroids is recommended inflammation and intense itching.
People with diabetes are at increased risk for dry skin due to Blocking sweating, Which can cause the formation of cracks that facilitate the entrance of germs and bacteria that can cause an infection. It is important to keep the whole body hydrated, especially the feet.
Carrying an unbalanced power supply may cause Vitamin and mineral deficiency Which can result in dry, cracked, rigid and aged skin. Monitoring optimal consumption of vitamin A and vitamin E is important to prevent dryness of the skin because of poor nutrition.
Other internal causes
- Genetic factor and family history.
- Clear skin is at greater risk of dryness than dark skin.
- Hormonal changes such as those occurring during pregnancy and menopause.
External factors that can cause dry skin
The skin is the organ that is most exposed to all kinds of external factors that can attack the moisture and cause very annoying skin lesions. The External triggers that cause dry skin Can be classified as follows:
- Very aggressive climatic changes like the cold, the heat and the dry air.
- Seasons cold as winter and hot as summer.
- Exposure to sunlight can accelerate aging, and the skin becomes increasingly dry as the person ages.
- The shower with very hot water eliminates the protective barrier of the skin humidity.
- Taking very long baths also affects the moisture of the dermis and causes extreme dryness.
- Do not use specialized creams or emollients for dry skin.
- Use cosméticos irritantes.
- Use of soaps or abrasive lotions that remove the lipid layer of the dermis and allow to release the moisture of the same.
Treatments for cancer such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy can affect the composition of the skin and seriously compromise its moisture. Diuretics and antihypertensives can also cause dryness.
Other causes of dry skin
In order for dry skin to be protected from sunlight, a filter that provides protection factor and wetting factor is required. The sunscreen should not contain perfume or dyes to avoid skin irritation.
People whose professions suggest that they work outdoors, such as fishermen and farmers, are at greater risk of developing dry skin because they are constantly exposed to external factors such as weather and sun.
Nicotine and other chemicals that contain cigarettes and tobacco smoke affect the bloodstream allowing the skin to wilt and dry more easily. Smoking accelerates the aging process and stimulates the appearance of wrinkles.
Treatment for very dry skin
Dry skin should Wash with a mild lotion Which prevents the protective layer from being removed from the moisture. Also, the soap should not contain fragrance or color to avoid any skin irritation. The use of soaps with urea is recommended because it guarantees hydration while helping to conserve moisture inside.
Dry skin care for the face
It is very important to choose for the face Emollient products, But not abrasive and that are free of fragrances and dyes. The skin of the face is the most delicate of the whole body and the most sensitive to external factors, so it is very important to clean it twice a day: morning and night. It is important to avoid alcohol or menthol products.
Removing makeup every day with a soft, moisturizing product is important to prevent impurities from building up in the pores and worsening redness and itching. Use sunscreen On the face every day is also important to prevent facial dryness.
Coho hydrates the piel seca
The ideal moisturizers for dry skin are those that are made based on the following components:
- Urea and lactate: Help to fix the moisture in the layers of the skin and because they are natural they are not toxic nor cause allergies. It is advisable to use a cream containing more than 5% of urea concentration.
- Glucoglycerol: It is a molecule that is able to stimulate the natural moisture of the skin, helping to increase the flow of moisture from the innermost layers to the exterior. Glycol glycerol ensures permanent hydration.
- Ceramida-3: Helps reduce moisture loss by repairing the lipid barrier.
- Hyaluronic acid: Is ideal for treating dry skin induced by age. In addition to stimulating moisture and moisture in the skin, it helps to reduce fine lines and wrinkles. It is recommended to use daytime creams, night and eye contours with hyaluronic acid.
Tips for treating dry skin
- Use gloves to scrub or wash clothing by hand to avoid exposure to abrasive chemicals.
- Avoid exposure to dry air from outside, to air conditioning and heating.
- Take showers with warm water and avoid very long baths.
- Use laundry detergents without fragrance or coloring.
- Apply moisturizing cream, ointments or emollients with wet skin for better absorption.
- Drink plenty of liquid every day, at least 2 liters of water per day.
- Dry the skin by patting the towel instead of squeezing the epidermis.
- Apply moisturizing cream 2 or 3 times a day.
- Have a special cream to moisturize your hands in the bag.
- Use sunscreen every day, even when the sky is overcast.
In addition, we recommend you look at the article Foods that moisturize the skin and include them in your daily diet.
This article is for information only, we have no power to prescribe medical treatments or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to go to a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more like this Dry skin: causes and treatment, We recommend that you enter our category of Wellness.